Welcome Reader:

Whether you've just now tuned in to my life, or have been keeping up with my inner thoughts for quite some time now,
I welcome you.

Though you may or may not be entertained by my thoughts, it is for MYSELF that I pen a blog.

As a writer, I enjoy expressing myself.
When I write long romance novels, I am inside my head so much, I forget to focus on reality.

By writing once and a while on my blog, when the mood hits me, I have the freedom to come and go.
To pull up a chair and order lemonade or an ice cream sundae.
To either gobble it down, or eat it ever so slowly...

...until it melts into a concoction that resembles mushy milk.

Pull up a chair! Have a read. I hope you enjoy it.
I do...and that's what really matters.







Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sweet Grapes At Last


Fifteen years the vines have twisted and stretched out
to cover the trellis my husband and I shirred up,
in hopes of getting a goldmine of homegrown grapes.
Over those hopeful years our hopes have mounted
and dashed,
for at the end of the lazy summer,
the cool Autumn yielded barely a live Concord grape.
Five years ago we dug up the old and planted the new
in hopes of reviving our hopes and dreams
of Concord grape jelly and
laying inclined to feed each other grapes of love.
A year ago today,
in my low-point,
I grabbed my pruning shears
and hacked at the vine intensely,
cursing one moment,
encouraging the next,
and finally singing a nurturing lullaby.
Into the wood adjacent are the vine remains
that have produced several homemade wreaths,
one of which is nestled nearby my wagon wheel,
on display. The other sent to a sister in Florida,
who longs for sentiments from a deserted NH home.
On our chair-swing I relaxed yesterday
while the sun began to fall from the sky,
my husband mowing the orchard where
apples and peaches and raspberries adorn.
There's grapes, he yelled, and off I ran
to distinguish the fake grapes I'd hung up
from the plump purple Concord grapes God grew.
Aaaaaaa!
Dangling down and about to burst
hung a dozen or more clusters,
some shriveled and brown,
but among them the survivors
who had beaten the odds and prospered!
Into my shirt I collected the crop
and dashed inside our house
to wash and squish the Concord grapes
into a cup that caught the all-natural juice.
A mere half a cup of liquid emerged
from the clump of seeds and discarded skins,
amid seeds and pulp thrown away
came away a half cup of grape-gold
that I coveted and protected.
I ran out to my hardworking husband
to share, sip by tiny sip,
the fruits of our labor,
the reward for our faithfulness,
the sweetest grape juice ever gifted.
What shall the sixteenth year bring,
I wonder, as I compare this crop
to my seventeen year marriage.
Oh! Wonderful, sweet heaven
that merges sun and rain and
produces harmonious love on the pallet...

No comments: