Welcome Reader:

Whether you've just now tuned in to my life, or have been keeping up with my inner thoughts for quite some time now,
I welcome you.

Though you may or may not be entertained by my thoughts, it is for MYSELF that I pen a blog.

As a writer, I enjoy expressing myself.
When I write long romance novels, I am inside my head so much, I forget to focus on reality.

By writing once and a while on my blog, when the mood hits me, I have the freedom to come and go.
To pull up a chair and order lemonade or an ice cream sundae.
To either gobble it down, or eat it ever so slowly...

...until it melts into a concoction that resembles mushy milk.

Pull up a chair! Have a read. I hope you enjoy it.
I do...and that's what really matters.







Thursday, December 27, 2007

Music - Is it Soothing or Does it Clutter?

Personally, I enjoy most music. The only music that clutters my thinking is hard rock and probably rap. Hard rock is a lot of little boys banging on their mama's pots and pans and yelling while having temper tantrums. Rap...I did get an MC Hammer tape once, but I stopped it there. I cannot absorb all the words fast enough to put it all together and have it make sense. I want music to which I can sing along.

I mostly enjoy soft rock and pop music from the 70s and 80s. Country music has some winners, too. My husband turned me on to classical music. I find it very relaxing and romantic. We also enjoy Celtic music and Sea Shantys that tell great historical stories.

Some songs I find myself learning the words to while I sit at work, or on the drive to and fro. Sometimes I think I know the words, but clearly don't. I'll be belting one out while driving and realize, hey, that just doesn't make sense. So I sing the made-up words I've been singing all along. Otherwise, I will have to just hum until I get to a part I think I know. Good thing all the traffic around me can't hear me. They just see me talking to myself and probably think I'm crazy!

When I have an idea for a story I keep my ears open for a theme song. I find music is a positive muse for me. It puts me in productive writing mode. Sometimes I used lyrics as suggested narration for my characters. Especially the love songs..."oh, my darling!" I have half a dozen first draft novels and they each have a theme song. For one of my novels, anything sung by Roy Orbison is also sung by the hero of the story. He's a rich house-flipper in Portsmouth, NH and moonlights as a singer in a band for relaxation. The heroine is his opinionated childhood friend who waitresses at the Rusty Hammer, and then becomes a real estate agent. They have a tumultuous relationship.

How do you feel about music? Is it soothing or does it clutter? What are some of your favorite songs, and why?
Please reply!

1 comment:

TaraMetBlog said...

I like old time rock and roll as Bob Seeger sings but not rap or heavy rock. I like songs with good quotes or ones that tell a story, like the recently deceased Dan Foglberg's song Same Old Lang Syne. Either way I'm amazed at how many lyrics i know, if only that part of my brain was being used for something more pratical ;)