Welcome Reader:

Whether you've just now tuned in to my life, or have been keeping up with my inner thoughts for quite some time now,
I welcome you.

Though you may or may not be entertained by my thoughts, it is for MYSELF that I pen a blog.

As a writer, I enjoy expressing myself.
When I write long romance novels, I am inside my head so much, I forget to focus on reality.

By writing once and a while on my blog, when the mood hits me, I have the freedom to come and go.
To pull up a chair and order lemonade or an ice cream sundae.
To either gobble it down, or eat it ever so slowly...

...until it melts into a concoction that resembles mushy milk.

Pull up a chair! Have a read. I hope you enjoy it.
I do...and that's what really matters.







Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Old Undertaker

NORTHWOOD REFLECTIONS©
By Lisa Allen Kennard
(Newspaper Article - 2006)

When I was growing up in the 60’s and 70’s, we used to have an undertaker and funeral home in East Northwood. His name was Ernest Pinkham. Pinkham’s Funeral Home was located in the white New Englander next to Edgerly Chapel. It seemed strategically placed across the street from First Baptist Church, and the previous, wicked-dangerous intersection of Routes 4, 9 & 202.

I recall my father and I took Ernest Pinkham’s trash to the dump for him on occasion, and we were invited into his kitchen for lemonade. The man seemed pleasant, but I was afraid to look at him, much less touch him. The place felt eerie, the air mortally stagnant. I was sure there was a dead body in the next room, and there probably was! Years later, I saw my Grampa Allen laid out in his casket there, propped up in front of the bay window.

The good thing about memories – those dear loved ones can be alive in your heart and reflections. Blow the dust off your aged photo albums with old black and whites or fading color photos. Close your eyes and purposely ponder your memories. Bring your long-passed loved ones back to life for a few moments! (May they rest in peace.)

No comments: