Welcome Reader:

Whether you've just now tuned in to my life, or have been keeping up with my inner thoughts for quite some time now,
I welcome you.

Though you may or may not be entertained by my thoughts, it is for MYSELF that I pen a blog.

As a writer, I enjoy expressing myself.
When I write long romance novels, I am inside my head so much, I forget to focus on reality.

By writing once and a while on my blog, when the mood hits me, I have the freedom to come and go.
To pull up a chair and order lemonade or an ice cream sundae.
To either gobble it down, or eat it ever so slowly...

...until it melts into a concoction that resembles mushy milk.

Pull up a chair! Have a read. I hope you enjoy it.
I do...and that's what really matters.







Sunday, January 20, 2008

Neighborhoods and Townfolk

NORTHWOOD REFLECTIONS©
By Lisa Allen Kennard
(Newspaper Article - 2006)


In the 1960’s I was a small town child. I thought my backyard was big and my neighborhood gigantic. The first day I attended first grade, reality set in. Walking around the side of the building of Northwood Elementary, my world exploded!

Mobbing the playground were more kids than I had ever seen in one place. I discovered there were other neighborhoods in Northwood: the Ridge, the Center, and the Narrows. There were more neighborhoods, of course, but with these I was most familiar.

Some of the kids I started first grade with continued as companions during my full twelve years of formal schooling, and beyond. Others popped in and out of my life. Some past friends sneak into my dreams!

These days I enjoy attending hometown events like the Craft Fair, the Memorial Day parade, and church sales and suppers. Oftentimes, I run into friends or acquaintances from all the old (and new) neighborhoods. If I know someone is part of a family I grew up with, but I don’t know their name, I simply wave and say hi. I know that even though they don’t know my name either, I look like an Allen, so they return the friendly gesture. This is part of Northwood’s charm!

No comments: