Welcome Reader:

Whether you've just now tuned in to my life, or have been keeping up with my inner thoughts for quite some time now,
I welcome you.

Though you may or may not be entertained by my thoughts, it is for MYSELF that I pen a blog.

As a writer, I enjoy expressing myself.
When I write long romance novels, I am inside my head so much, I forget to focus on reality.

By writing once and a while on my blog, when the mood hits me, I have the freedom to come and go.
To pull up a chair and order lemonade or an ice cream sundae.
To either gobble it down, or eat it ever so slowly...

...until it melts into a concoction that resembles mushy milk.

Pull up a chair! Have a read. I hope you enjoy it.
I do...and that's what really matters.







Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A New Job For Miss Lisa

It seems forever that I have been working at the family company: Tasker’s Well. Sixteen and a half years, in fact. With tough, economic times falling on everyone here in New England, across the country, and around the world, I, too, have been cut back in my hours. I find no fault or blame with my employers, I only ask that while I'm staying on two days per week to help with the office work, accounting, etc., that they attempt to accommodate my new part time job hours. They have always been so good at accommodating me! I try to always return the favor.

To offset my lesser hours at my 'first priority job,' I decided to find a part time, 'second priority job.' I wanted to earn money doing something I really enjoyed. Something that seemed more like play. I found my dream part time job as a sub. for the local daycare center in town. I’m acquainted with one of the owners. She's excited that I'm interested in the position. I had babysat her two children on a prior occasion and she and I hit it off quite well.

I had volunteered to go into the daycare center today to observe, without pay. I was supposed to hop from room to room - get acquainted with the children and childcare providers. Instead, they were short a person. I jumped right in. I was directed to the the Infant’s room. In the Infant’s room were providers C and C, mother and daughter. C, the mother, is one of the co-owners.

The Infant children are:
· newborn boy J,
· 6 month old boy C,
· 1 year old boy T,
· 1 1/2-year old girl S,
· 1 1/2-year old boy M,
· and another 6 month old girl who was absent.

I played with T, S, and M most of the morning. At some point I began to play with C, the 6 month old, changed his diaper, fed him, got him to sleep, and kept him happy with silly games. One of the women said I was C’s new girl. Apparently, he is spoiled at home. I could see that he liked to be held a lot. I continued to get him laughing by playing a couple of repetition games with him and a red doll I nicknamed "Red Doll." I really bonded with C, and he with me. I worked from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., a 6 hour day = $60.00. I will put the money in my savings account.

They need help tomorrow after I get out of work, so I’ll show up around 4:30. They close at 6:00 = $15.00. I will be helping in the Toddler room. There are about 12 Toddlers. It will be hard to remember 12 Toddler's names, but I'm willing to try. I'm told by C the co-owner that I will fit in well with the Toddlers since I like to get down on the floor and play, and clearly because I love kids.

Next Tuesday, I’m scheduled with the Toddler room to pull an all-day shift, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. = $100.00...WOW! TEN HOURS WITH 12 TODDLERS. I WILL, OF COURSE, HAVE TWO EXPERIENCED PROVIDERS HELPING ME, THANK GOD!

I believe this sub. position will be beneficial to me in several ways: it will give me extra money and it will fulfill an empty spot in my life that only children can fill. I am very excited. My husband is excited for me, too.

I'm really looking forward to the day when I know all the kid's names and they all call me "Miss Lisa!"

1 comment:

Nicki said...

Oh, Lisa, this sounds like so much fun! I tried to get weekend hours babysitting, but it is hard to get strangers to trust another person with their children. But this sounds like the perfect part time job for someone who is such a friendly, loving, kind person. I remember when you used to babysit me and my brothers while my folks were away on vacation and we always had the best time! You hardly need it, but best of luck!

Love, Nicki