Welcome Reader:

Whether you've just now tuned in to my life, or have been keeping up with my inner thoughts for quite some time now,
I welcome you.

Though you may or may not be entertained by my thoughts, it is for MYSELF that I pen a blog.

As a writer, I enjoy expressing myself.
When I write long romance novels, I am inside my head so much, I forget to focus on reality.

By writing once and a while on my blog, when the mood hits me, I have the freedom to come and go.
To pull up a chair and order lemonade or an ice cream sundae.
To either gobble it down, or eat it ever so slowly...

...until it melts into a concoction that resembles mushy milk.

Pull up a chair! Have a read. I hope you enjoy it.
I do...and that's what really matters.







Sunday, January 20, 2008

Childhood Neighborhood

NORTHWOOD REFLECTIONS©
By Lisa Allen Kennard
(Newspaper Article - 2006)

I grew up in Northwood during the 60’s and 70’s. Our house was the big white one on the corner of (Lower) Bow Street and Route 4. Now it is home to Hall Monument. My neighborhood consisted of Bow Street, Green Street, and several houses east and west on Route 4. That’s in the heart of Antique Alley.

Nearby families with kids that I knew best were named: Thurber, Durkin, Copeland, Tuttle, DeMeritt, Briggs, Colby, Burklund, Jackson, Gasper, Gammon, Grant and Josiah. People with or without children filled in the gaps.

Most of us neighborhood kids grew to reach maturity. Sadly, a few passed away. After high school I joined the Air Force. Many of the kids joined the workforce nearby or moved away, some went to college, and some I don’t have the faintest clue what became of them. At least one is/was serving in Iraq. Most now have their own families. Probably, we are all busier than we imagined we would be. Time has whizzed by!

Though I live in Nottingham now, I work in Northwood, I play in Northwood and many of my family members reside in Northwood. You can take the girl out of the neighborhood, but you can’t always take the neighborhood’s memories out of the girl? If they are decent memories, why would you want to?

No comments: