Welcome Reader:

Whether you've just now tuned in to my life, or have been keeping up with my inner thoughts for quite some time now,
I welcome you.

Though you may or may not be entertained by my thoughts, it is for MYSELF that I pen a blog.

As a writer, I enjoy expressing myself.
When I write long romance novels, I am inside my head so much, I forget to focus on reality.

By writing once and a while on my blog, when the mood hits me, I have the freedom to come and go.
To pull up a chair and order lemonade or an ice cream sundae.
To either gobble it down, or eat it ever so slowly...

...until it melts into a concoction that resembles mushy milk.

Pull up a chair! Have a read. I hope you enjoy it.
I do...and that's what really matters.







Sunday, January 20, 2008

My Old School Days

NORTHWOOD REFLECTIONS©
By Lisa Allen Kennard
(Newspaper Article - 2006)

The kids are back to school – reminds me of waiting for the bus out in front of our house. Kids from Bow Street used to walk up the road and wait with us. It was the infamous holler of “Bus just came around the corner!” that still rings in my brain. That phrase is what I equate with going back to school.

Times were simpler back in the 60’s and 70’s. At Northwood Elementary, when Mr. Conway was principal, a kid played marbles or ‘four square’ at recess. Other entertainment was hopscotch, dodge ball, jacks, and TV tag! Athletes played basketball or ‘kick the can’. Risk taker’s played ‘spin-the-bottle’ at the edge of the woods, next to the path that led to the lower field. Now, that whole area where we used to play is either concrete building, parking lot, or jungle gym.

Old-fashioned games back then, I daresay, would not enthuse many of today’s youths. In days gone by, if we were lucky, we had a transistor radio or collection of board games. Today’s kids have ‘futuristic’ toys. They’re wicked expensive! One thing hasn’t changed in 35 years. Kids still ride the bus to school. Interestingly, one of the kids who rode the bus now owns the bus company. Hey Debbie!

No comments: